Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Gear Creep

Has anyone noticed the quality of pugs has both increased and decreased lately?

Groups get impatient with pulls and stupid / reckless with extra gear. You can’t plough thru all the crowds without mana breaks and ignore all CC mechanics just because your Level 24 guild is doing Nefarion Hardmode. We’re all NOT on the same page. This leads to bigger expectations in random PuGs and players able regress back into WotLK playstyles.


I tank Heroic 5 man content. I use three toons between 352 and 340 gear level. As a Tank, you worry about Threat and being able to survive the damage output. As people get better equipped, I’ve had dps rip agro off in regular intervals. Why? The dual wield Fury warrior is pushing 16000 DPS using twin 365s and is wearing T11.5 in all slots. He was pushing insane amounts of damage. Consecrate has nothing on a 30k damage whirlwind. Then I had two 359 iLevel Warlocks unleashing hellish amounts of spikey threat and 15k Dps in a damage race. I was forced to keep Taunt as part of my rotation. The healer was going OOM trying to keep up with Life-taps and Adds being ripped off the Tank. Are they bad players? Yes. BECAUSE their better gear makes them assholes? No. They just happen to be inconsiderate players with fantastic loot.


I also heal 5 man Heroic content. My healers are 350, 340, and 333. That’s a much bigger range of ability. As a Healer, it’s a different kind of hell. I had a full 359 Tank geared for Max Avoidance. He only had 155k health. I had to explain to him that 5 man heroic content should still be respected. He drew all of the mobs onto him without any CC, then expected to be healed thru Inferno + Meteor Strike + Lightning Lash and two melee beating on him. I understand the caliber of endless mana he’s accustomed to bathing in, but seriously know your limits. Some of that trash will still rock your face, if you get reckless. My obligation as healer is to keep the tank AND the rest of the group alive thru the fight. That sucked trying to keep up. A couple seconds of Polymorph, Banish, Ice Trap, Sap, or whatever can mean a world of difference. Don’t push your healer in blue 333 gear. Gear Creeping upwards to Tier 12 doesn’t mean that everyone’s alts are able to achieve the throughput required to do Hardmode 25man content. Especially when you que for a Random PuG.


I also DPS. My mage pushes 8k. My Shaman pushes 14k. My DK pushes 12k. Not much to brag about. If I can’t keep up with the other DPS, there’s no crying. I can accept being Top DPS and being Very Bottom. I always use CC and assist the tank. If the tank breaks CC and the healer is fine, we’re all good. I STOP attack and run to the tank when I do pull agro. DPS is easy. Follow the lead. Think on your feet. Help where you can. Stay out of the fire.

Play nice. It’s a chore to do Pugs for daily Valor points with the “non-Raid Scrubs”. Don’t be a jerk about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment